Homework was sent home today and is due on Friday. We will not have homework next week because of the holiday. Homework will resume in December.
Math: Our Module 2 Final Exam is this Wednesday. A completed study guide will come home tomorrow for you to review with your child. Be sure to send it back to school because students are allowed to use this study guide on the exam. Today we completed Module 2 with Lesson 28 and 29. Thursday we will cover Lesson 1 and Lesson 2 of Module 3. There is information on the blog detailing what we are covering in Module 3.
Science: Students brought home a study guide today for the final exam on Heredity. This exam will take place on Wednesday as well. We will begin Landforms when we come back from Thanksgiving break.
Upcoming: Our Maturation Seminar is this Wednesday from 2:00-3:00. If your child is not attending, you’ll need to check them out during this last hour of school.
Thanks and have a great week!
Last week was crazy! Thanks a million to all of my volunteers who helped with our Halloween party and our field trip! It all went splendid!
Math: We’re almost done with Module 2! We’ve got Lessons 22 through Lesson 27 this week, with a few more lessons next week and then the final exam.
Science: We will also be finishing up Heredity this week with our final next week. Landforms is next.
- Homework has been posted and is due Friday. Hard copies were sent home in Weekly Folders today.
- Math tutoring is tomorrow from 3:15-3:45. I encourage all students who are not fluent in multi-digit multiplication and long division to come to tutoring… You can do a little test tonight at home. Give them one problem of each type and see if they can do it.
Let’s have a great week!
Hello Everyone and Happy Halloween!
This week is going to be a fun and full week! First of all, there will be no homework assigned this week because of the holiday, field trip, and it being the end of Term 1… Just too much going on!
Math: We’re getting close to finishing up Module 2. We’ll be covering Lesson 19 through Lesson 23 this week – which is long division.
Science: We will be finishing up Heredity/Genetics next week and will then be moving on to Landforms.
- Tuesday will be our Halloween class party from 12:30-2:00. Also, don’t forget the Trick or Reading book report / pumpkin activity from 9:00-10:00 that morning.
- Costumes can be worn all day on Halloween, but please be sure to scroll down to find the post detailing costume guidelines.
- Thursday is our field trip to JA City / Biz Town. Please check out the link below for more information. Our school (5th and 6th graders only) are the only students that will be on this field trip. One school at a time is scheduled… No other schools or students will be there 🙂
JA City / Biz Town
*Starting Term 2, students will have two weeks to turn in assignments as per our classroom disclosure. Full credit up to one full week after the due date, and then half credit the second week. After two weeks, the assignment will remain a zero. This applies to class assignments and not assessments. We’ve had some trouble with students not turning in their work on time, if at all, and also not putting their name on their papers. I’ve got some management techniques that I use from time to time, to help remind students to put their names on their work and to turn their assignments in on time, that I’m going to start implementing. Also, each Monday (in Weekly Folders) students will have a missing work printout to help keep them up on their assignments.
Thanks and have a wonderful week!
Hello Everyone and I hope Fall Break was fabulous!
Welcome back! Weekly Folders are coming home today with student work, homework, and three permission slips. Please be sure to look through these folders and sign and return permission slips as soon as possible. The permission slips that are coming home are Maturation, Halloween Party, and JA City field trip.
Math: We’ll be working through Module 2 Lesson 13 through Lesson 18. All of the student pages are in their workbooks (that we work through daily) and are also located on the blog “Math” page under Module 2. You can always follow along and print these pages at home for students to review what they’re learning at school with you.
Science: We’ve gotten a little behind (thanks JA City trainings 😉 ) and will hopefully be finishing up Heredity during this last part of October or early November. We’re still discussing DNA, and Punnett Squares… We’ve got adaptations, etc. left to cover.
- Our Halloween party is scheduled for Tuesday, October 31st from 12:30-2:00. We’ll also have our Trick Or Reading pumpkin displays from 9:00-10:00 that day. This activity is so fun and other students from around the school like to see all the decorated pumpkins. Also, costumes may be worn to school… Please see below for the posting regarding Halloween costumes.
- Our JA City/Biz Town field trip is on Thursday, November 2nd. Students have been training for their experience, being an adult and having a job, every Friday and will continue to do so until our field trip.
- The Maturation Seminar is scheduled for Wednesday, November 15th. Details can be found on the permission slip. Our school counselor can also be contacted with any questions you may have.
- It’s cold out! Send your kiddo to school prepared for cold temperatures!
Thanks and have a great week!
Just a reminder to parents and students that interviews for JA City jobs will be held on Tuesday, October 10th. Students were given a pamphlet on Friday and were asked to circle three jobs that they would be interested in having during our JA City field trip that will take place on November 2nd. Students are encouraged to dress in business casual (slacks, ties, dresses, collared shirts, etc.) on Tuesday for their interviews that will take place starting at 8:45 AM and go until finished. Students may wear their interview clothes all day instead of their school uniform, or may change after.
Halloween falls on a Tuesday this school year. Yippee! We will not be having a Halloween parade. However, we will be having a Halloween class party. More information will be coming home soon. The 31st is a full day of school. As we would like to provide the least amount of distraction to our educational settings there are guidelines to costumes. Students may wear costumes to school on this day.
Costumes must be modest and not compromise safety standards
• Skirts, dresses or shorts must be no shorter than 3” above the knee.
• Shoulders and midriff must remain covered.
• Bottoms must be worn high enough on waist that underwear or skin is not exposed.
• No clothing that displays obscene, vulgar, lewd, or sexually explicit words, messages or pictures.
• No clothing that displays or promotes alcohol, tobacco or other drugs.
Costumes have many components to them. Your child may not be able to wear his/her entire costume to school. Please understand. Please NO: masks, blood, gore, weapons or items that resemble weapons. Please keep face paint to a minimum as is dries out and becomes uncomfortable through out the day. Hair coloring is acceptable. Hats and headgear will be allowed as along as they do not distract the learning environment. Student may be asked to remove hats or headgear.
Hello and Happy One-Week-Before-Fall-Break!
Homework has been posted and paper copies were sent home today in Weekly Folders. It’s getting really chilly outside! Please be sure that your child is dressed for the weather daily.
Fall Parent Teacher Conferences are happening this week! Your child will be bringing home a note to confirm the date and time that you signed up for. We’ll see you Wednesday – Friday. Don’t forget, because of PTC’s, these school days are early out days and school will be dismissed at 12:35. These early out days and not dress down days and students will be expected to be in school uniform.
Math: We’re covering lessons 7-12 this week. Right now we’re working on double digit and triple digit multiplication using the good old way that we all learned… also known as the standard algorithm. It would be GREAT if you worked with these types of multiplication problems at home when you’ve got a minute 🙂
Science: We’re still learning about Heredity/Genetics and will be moving on to Landforms the end of October/early November. This week we’re discussing Dominant and Recessive genes, Punnet Squares, and DNA.
- Fall Break is next week so have fun, relax, and be safe! There will be no school Monday, October 16th – Friday, October 20th. No homework will be assigned.
- Our next field trip is JA City / Biz Town at Discovery Gateway on November 2nd. We will need A LOT of volunteers for this field trip so please contact your child’s homeroom teacher if this is something that you can do. More information will be coming home this week.
Thanks for all you do and have a wonderful week!
Homework has been posted and a copy has been sent home today in Take Home Folders.
Don’t forget that we’ve got a field trip to the STEM Fest at the South Towne Expo Center on Wednesday. We’ll be leaving Ascent and boarding a bus between 9:15 and 9:30. We’ll return at 2:30 in the afternoon. Students can be dropped off and picked up at regular times at Ascent.
- Backpacks are not allowed and a bag will be provided for each student at the event to carry their belongings in
- Students must wear school uniforms and name badges. The event organizers have requested no skirts or dresses.
- Cell phones are not permitted and it is advised that technological devices be left at school or home
Math: We’re working on Module 2 Lesson 3 – Lesson 6 this week. Students are focussing on Order or Operations. I’m also in the process of grading Module 1 final assessments. Students will be bringing them home next week. Incorrect problems will be marked with the correct answer and students may show me how to get that correct answer to gain partial credit on the missed problems. These test corrections will be done at home.
Science: We’ve got lessons in Heredity covering inherited traits, learned traits, instincts, DNA, and Punnet squares this week. Fun stuff!
Remember, it’s getting cold outside so be sure that your kiddo is dressed appropriately for the weather.
We have a field trip scheduled for November 2nd. This field trip is to the Discovery Gateway and is called JA City or Biz Town. Students get to be part of the work force for a day. They’ll have jobs, earn a paycheck, run businesses, etc. I neglected to remind the students that later this week we will be voting for our JA City Mayor. Students can hang up signs throughout the school as part of their campaign. Our Mayoral Primary is Friday, October 6th.
Please tell your child that if they want to run for Mayor of JA City that they can hang up their signs beginning today, October 2nd.
Thanks and have a great week!
Hello Wonderful Parents!
Just a couple of things this week:
Math: We’re finishing up Module 1 and beginning Module 2. Please see the “Math” page on the blog as there is Parent Tip Sheets and other really helpful information regarding what your kiddo is working on at school posted there. I’ve also implemented a Weekly Work Sample of math problems from each lesson that we’re covering that week. Students have time to work on this at school, but I’ve suggested to students that they may take these packets home for parents to see what students are working on currently. These packets are due back at school, completed, on Thursdays. These packets are not homework. There is time at school to get them done 🙂
Science: We’ve begun our Heredity unit. We’ll be kicking it off with a very fun presentation from a geneticist (via Skype or another form of video viewing) from the West Jordan, Ascent campus. All three campuses will be included and we’re really looking forward to this. Any parents that would like to come for about an hour in the morning on Thursday are welcome to come. Please contact me if you’re able and I’ll have more information for you.
Weather: It’s getting colder! Please be sure your kiddo has a coat, hat, gloves, etc. to keep warm outside. Students must put these items in their lockers upon returning indoors. These items are not allowed to be worn in the classroom as per our dress code.
Upcoming Field Trip: Our field trip to the STEM Fest is next Wednesday, October 4th. I’ve had several parents mark that they would like to chaperone. Please be sure that you have a background check done provided by Ascent. As per the guidelines of the event organizers, students are not to wear skirts or dresses that day, just pants. Students are also encouraged to leave cell phones at home as they are not permitted. Backpacks must also be kept at school… students will be provided with a bag at the STEM Fest to put their belongings and lunch in. Students bringing home lunch that day will put it in a box and then the lunches will be distributed when they get their backpack at the event. Students are to wear their school uniforms and name badges. The bus will leave Ascent between 9:15-9:30 in the morning and return to school at 2:30-2:45 in the afternoon.
Thanks for all you do and have a great week!
Fall Parent Teacher Conference Sign Up
Clink on the link above to sign up for Fall Parent Teacher Conferences. Excited to see everyone!